Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Are Expired Instant Noodles Edible?

As circumstances would have it, I happened to land myself with a couple of packs of instant noodles...some about a year past its expiry date while some are over two years (beyond its best before date).

If it were your typical "sane" person, I would bet that he or she would have immediately disposed of the said noodles on the spot. Right there and then.

However...somehow...some silly idea crept into my head.

If it had been the end of the world, an apocalypse or some hideous instance whereby you were left to scavenge for food.

What then...are the sort of human-made "processed" food that you could still consume, despite it being past its expiry/best before date?

With that line of thinking in mind, I proceeded to judge and hence deemed that these packs of instant noodles, past its expiry date, might be still edible. Might...just might...

But since I'm still not "that" insane, I decided to try it out on the "about a year past its expiry date" ones.

Opening them up, visual inspection came up with nothing striking in particular. It looks as if its brand new...much like any other instant noodles.

Sniffing them, however, ended up with some faint (but distinct) "stale" smell...that kind of reminds you that the noodles are a year past its "safe to consume date".

As for the cooking part, sad to say that despite having rinsed it twice, I've failed to get rid of that "stale" smell. And what's worse, it becomes even more drastically striking when you remove the cover of the cooking pot and have the hot steam vapor rushing up into your nose.

In the taste-testing session, you also have this weird sense of taste...in those cooked noodles...that refuses to be masked over by the packets of "seasoning" that you've added.

Overall, its not something that I would recommend you to try. And quite frankly, its not something that I would have the pleasure of ever wanting to try out again.

Hopefully...just hopefully...nothing goes wrong with my stomach.

But only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment