Saturday, August 13, 2011

Déjà vu

Déjà vu, according to Wikipedia, is the experience of feeling sure that one has already witnessed or experienced a current situation, even though the exact circumstances of the previous encounter are uncertain and were perhaps imagined.

Have you ever had this feeling of déjà vu?

When you walked into a room during a certain occasion, you stood there feeling that the scenery and atmosphere is awfully familiar even though you are sure you had not been to this place before.

When you were about to do something, you paused and asked yourself...Have I done this before?

Well, I sure did...

The following are two occasions when this occurred to me.

I was attending a company annual dinner one day and it was held at this ballroom in a certain hotel. I had never visited this hotel before, but when i entered the room, I had this feeling that the surroundings was familiar....like I had been here before.

The other occasion was when I had to authenticate myself through the phone. I had to read a line of digits to an automated machine. No matter how slowly and loudly, digit by digit, I spoke to the machine, it kept failing me and refused to pass the authentication. This continued for a couple of times until I suddenly had a vision of when something vaguely similar happened. In that vision, I saw myself reading out the digits as fast as I could but loudly to the phone. I immediately tried it on the automated machine and...amazingly, it worked. The stupid machine passed me.

As you would expect, these two occasions should be totally new to me, but yet there was this sense of familiarity...

Where did the experience come from? Was it just my imagination? The exact circumstances of the vision I recall is unknown...just that particular scene or feeling is recalled clearly. Did any of you out there experienced something like this before? What is the logic behind it, if any?

From,
- BuLaDiFu -

No comments:

Post a Comment